EFA Vice-presidents Lorena López de Lacalle and Ana Miranda, former and future EFA MEP, are joining an international group of political representatives as electoral observers at this crucial moment of political closeness and overwhelming political control of the media in Turkey.
EFA Vice-presidents state that “the hard-line policies of the AKP and the suspension of democracy, human rights and rule of law; the imprisonment of thousands of journalists, professors, writers and HDP members and supporters, proof that Turkey is rapidly going backwards. With our presence in Diyarbakir, campaigning next to HDP members, we want to show EFA’s solidarity with the Kurdish people and, more generally, our commitment with democracy, human rights and freedom.”
Recent polls show a very tight distance between the YES and the NO votes in the constitutional referendum. If YES would win, Erdogan would gain unlimited powers that would allow him keep power until over 2030.
Through this delegation, EFA shows once again its continuous support to the Kurdish struggle and underlines the relevance of the Motion adopted in its last General Assembly (Katowice, 31 March 2017) stating that:
"The European Free Alliance,
1. Fully supports the European Parliament resolution of 24 November 2016 on EU-Turkey relations (2016/2993(RSP),
2. Condemns the disproportionate repressive measures taken by the Turkish government since July 2016 in violation of basic rights and freedoms and international law.
3. Demands the immediate release of HDP Co-Chairs Selahattin Demirtas and Figen Yuksekdag as well as the rest of unduly imprisoned detainees.
4. Requires the EU Commission to suspend the EU accession negotiations set out in article 5 of the Negotiating Framework for Turkey on its own initiative or on the request of one third of the Member States.
4. Requires the Council of Europe to investigate the crimes committed in Turkey."
(you can read full text HERE).
EFA delegation will be arriving today in Diyarbakir. They will meet the press and the civil society, and participate in the different events organised by HDP on the occasion.